Re: Suggestion: Continuous mass rebuild

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Tom Lane wrote:

"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Currently we're doing a mass rebuild about every couple of releases,
ie. once a year.

Since Dennis Gilmore has written this rebuild script already, why
don't we run the script more or less continuously?  Obviously we could
pace the builds so they happen for each package about once a month and
don't overload Koji.

Then we track packages that don't build, say, 3 times in a row, and
file FTBFS bugs for them and after that prioritize fixing them or kick
them out of the distro.

I don't think we should do this exactly like a regular mass rebuild: it
would create useless churn in the package set, specfile changelogs, etc.
What would be useful is to do scratch rebuilds on this sort of schedule,
without changing anything in git, and file bugs anytime a rebuild fails.
That is more or less what Matt Domsch used to be doing; now that he
seems to have stopped, I agree that it would be a good thing for the
Fedora project to start doing it officially.

And we've been making progress on doing this - however we had to make sure we had sufficient builder systems and a way to quickly redeploy them.

That's what I've been working on:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Skvidal/BuildSystem

-sv