Re: Debugging Fedora UEFI boot problems on Intel DQ77MK

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 03:52:25PM -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 01:59 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >"noefi" kernel cmdline option didn't help unfortunately.
> >
> >When booting Fedora 17 x64 there's the GRUB bootloader with graphical
> >background image, I let it boot the default entry "Fedora 17", I see it the
> >allocating memory pages, loading VMLINUZ etc, and then the display mode /
> >resolution changes, and  then there's just blank screen and a cursor blinking..
> >
> >Does that ring any bells?
>
> Not really, no.  The fact that you're seeing a mode switch proceeding a
> blinking cursor makes me think the kernel is probably starting, but you may
> be seeing a series of failures after that point.

Ok. earlier I tried enabling the Linux serial console with "console=ttyS1,115200",
but that didn't show any kernel messages on the SOL.

I wonder if commands like "serial --port=0xf0e0" works with the EFI grub
and if that'd show anything important.. (I can't try right now).

> >I'm pretty sure this is a Intel firmware bug, but it'd be nice to be able to
> >confirm that somehow..
>
> Well, either the bootloader or the kernel (or something after that) is not
> succeeding If Windows works in UEFI mode on the machine, then we would still
> consider it to be a bug we should fix, even if the firmware fails to comply to
> precisely to our previous interpretation of the spec.

I'll try installing Windows aswell.

> That being said, I doubt if we're going to have a high degree of success
> debugging this over email.

Yeah.. I'm not very familiar with the EFI stuff yet, so I don't known if/how
serial console stuff is supposed to work, or if it's any different from legacy BIOS boot..
and why I didn't see anything on the SOL.

Thanks for the help anyway!

-- Pasi