Re: Packaging pyroscope

On Fri, 25 May 2012 11:23:59 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone's ever considered packaging pyroscope[1] for
> Fedora? It adds quite a lot of functionality to rtorrent.
>
> I've just started looking into it, and the building looks pretty messy.
> This is the build script they use[2]. It downloads everything, including
> rtorrent, and then applies the patches etc. to it. Is this okay? It's
> going to take some looking into.
>
> I ask because it appears to be a good tool and there may be a reason
> behind why it's still unpackaged.

Searching Google for "fedora review request pyroscope" doesn't find
an existing [old] bugzilla ticket. Compare with other package names,
where such a simple search is fruitful.

> [1] http://code.google.com/p/pyroscope/wiki
> [2]
> http://pyroscope.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/pyrocore/docs/rtorrent-extended/build.sh

On-the-fly downloading of source archives and patches won't be acceptable,
since these files must be included in the src.rpm (with the packagers being
in the position to control what will be used/packaged).

It would be necessary to create a modified build script that downloads needed
files in order to create a custom snapshot archive, which then could be
reviewed and included in a Fedora src.rpm.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.88 0.74 0.55