Re: nginx custom script location

On 16 May 2012 00:19, Michal Schmidt <mschmidt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/16/2012 12:21 AM, Jamie Nguyen wrote:
>>
>>    /etc/init.d/nginx upgrade
>>
>> This has disappeared following migration to systemd, so my intention
>> is to include an nginx-upgrade shell script to replace this
>> functionality.
>>
>> My question is, where should this shell script go? In
>> /usr/bin/nginx-upgrade?
>

> Yes, this looks like a good choice to me.
>
> Then immediately a question comes to mind: Shouldn't the script be pushed
> upstream, rather than being a Fedora-specific addition?

This script doesn't do anything new compared to our initscript, so
upstream probably won't do much more than document it here:
http://wiki.nginx.org/CommandLine#Upgrading_To_a_New_Binary_On_The_Fly

The simplest form of the script is literally just 2 commands (though
I've implemented it in a slightly more calculated manner):
/bin/systemctl kill --signal=USR2 nginx.service
/bin/systemctl kill --signal=QUIT --kill-who=main nginx.service

Nonetheless, I have offered both our nginx.service file and the above
script to be upstreamed, or at least documented in their wiki:
http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-devel/2012-May/002228.html

Thanks for your advice.

Kind regards,
Jamie