Re: x32 abi support?

Gregory Maxwell (gmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> It's for this reason (and the multilib memory bloat) that I was really
> disappointed to see x32 created.
>
> 32bit of an addressable space is a real limitation on modern machines—
> and completely reasonable software which is linear in input size is
> simply less useful on 32 bit machines.
>
> If it ever comes up that Fedora wants to further limit the usability
> of the i686 with older machines (e.g. by adding a SSE2 requirement),
> then perhaps it would be instead better to replace i686 with x32...
> but otherwise I think it would be really unfortunate to end up
> subjecting fedora users to the 32bit vm limits who otherwise might not
> be.

Plus, there's the minor "incompatible with every single existing piece of
i686/x86_32 software that exists in the wild." While Fedora isn't directly
targeting the existence of third-party or local software, a new 32-bit
option that breaks it all isn't the most polite. It's why it would be much
more useful for something like spinning up a new embedded target rather than
switching an existing userbase.

Bill