Re: default media size [Was: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo]

On 05/09/2012 01:33 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I'd like to break CD limit too but we should not forgot there are users
>> for which CD is top technology from dreams and we have a lot of these
>> users among some countries...
>
> Where are the numbers to back this nonsense up?
> A DVD burner costs ~12 € ... and any computer that old isn't really
> that capable of running  fedora reasonably anyway.

Such a claim is FALSE.  My 700MHz PentiumIII with 384MB RAM runs Fedora 11
just fine.  OpenOffice is eminently usable, for example.  It's a 2001
laptop that has only CD-ROM and USB1.1, and the BIOS cannot boot from USB.
I have added USB2.0 via PCMCIA card, and somewhere around Fedora 12
could boot from external DVD via USB2.0 (via trampoline from the harddrive)
because the PCMCIA drivers for the bridge that enables the USB2.0 card
were in the initrd.  But then the PCMCIA drivers were dropped from initrd,
so it no longer boots newer Fedora from DVD.  Meanwhile deteriorating
support for RagePro graphics has nudged me back to Fedora 11.  Fedora 11
is only 3 years old.