Re: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

On Mon, 07 May 2012 18:10:17 +0200, Colin Walters wrote:
> My experience is otherwise; just look at how the kernel works in
> practice.  People often post stack traces to the list, and it's
> certainly not uncommon for problems to be fixed just based on this data.

Linux kernel is not generalizable for all packages, as I already wrote.

> but it's important to at least consider that your experience isn't
> necessarily representative of everyone.

I agree, therefore I hope FESCo will consider this feature objectively.

> When was the last time you had
> to diagnose a crash in gnome-shell with with our 100+ DSOs loaded?

firefox, *office, from several times a month to several times a year.
3.4G  /usr/lib/debug/

> There's a world of difference between "no stack trace" and "basic stack
> trace".

I repeat "no stack trace" should never happen and I believe it does not
happen.  At least it never happens for me.  I never prefer "no stack trace" to
anything.  If "no stack trace" ever happens it should be bugreported and ABRT
Retrace Server should be fixed.  It is there for proper backtraces.

Thanks,
Jan