Re: Proposed F18 feature: MiniDebugInfo

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 04:25:46PM +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 15:07:20 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > I just wrote a new Feature proposal for shipping minimal debug info by
> > default:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo
>
> The "several choices" is missing the primary possibility of no debug info
> needed at the client side at all thanks to already implemented
> 	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RetraceServer
>
> Why not to use ABRT Retrace Server for the bugreports instead?
>
> I am only aware the upload of core file may be slow but that can be solved
> (by gdbserver for core files, which was already implemeted once).  I do not
> know if it is a real problem or not, core file do not have to be large.

For bug reporting, you don't need to upload core files, if all you want
is to augment backtraces with symbol info and perhaps line info, then
all you can do is just upload backtraces without symbol info/line info,
supply the relevant build-ids for addresses seen in the backtrace and
let some server with access to debuginfo packages finish that up.

	Jakub