Re: Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

There is still plenty of such packages all around the internet. I have a few packages I am using but haven't have the motivation to push them through the review and i am not even sure if they could go through, but I am positive that somebody would benefit from them.

Vit

Dne 27.4.2012 15:29, Aleksandar Kurtakov napsal(a):
I have seen way too many problems caused by people installing such *nonmaintained* packages to even think this will cause more troubles than it will solve.

Alex

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vít Ondruch"<vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 3:32:33 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

Dne 26.4.2012 18:13, Alec Leamas napsal(a):
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:32:17 +0200, AL (Alec) wrote:

OT? The question here isn't really what submitters  do or don't,
isn't
it what we could do to improve the process?.
The point is that not all submitters are collaborative, and others
don't
seek for sponsors actively. In the needsponsor queue are lots of
tickets
where packages are not ready or where a reviewer is simply waiting
for
the submitter to respond. It isn't sooooo easy to find submitters
who
are willing for compromise and adapt the Fedora's requirements.
People are note always nice, agreed. But isn't part of the problem
that current process forces people which just are interested in a
package to suddenly discover that they are applying to be
packagers?
Shouldn't some of these  cases be better off if they could drop
"their" package in some kind of wishlist 2.0, and try to get in
contact with a packager instead?
I am thinking about some "dumping" repository, where people would
dump
their packages and they would need almost no qualification. Of course
using such packages would be without any warranty. The packages would
not be owned by anybody, so everybody would improve them (or
eventually
corrupt them ;)). Once somebody would be interested enough to become
official maintainer, he would apply to official review and the
package
would get into official Fedora repo.

Actually it shouldn't be that hard to achieve it with tiny changes to
current infrastructure IMO. It seems to be still better option then
trust to 3rd party repo or OBS.

Vit