Re: /tmp on tmpfs

On 04/06/2012 07:47 AM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
On 04/06/2012 11:14 AM, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
On Mon, 2012-04-02 at 20:58 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:32:56PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
* #834 F18 Feature: /tmp on tmpfs -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs (mitr, 17:40:06)
   * AGREED: tmp-on-tmpfs is accepted (+5 -3)  (mitr, 18:12:52)

Actually I think this is a good feature, but ...

The feature page is wrong about "The user experience should barely
change.  This is mostly a low-level change that has little visibility
to the user."

tmpfs is different in a number of important ways:

  - it's very limited in space compared to a real disk
This is the reason why I refused having /tmp as tmpfs (or even as a
separate partition) few months ago. Has anybody tried to use e.g.
Brasero with it? Well, if you are burning a DVD, Brasero needs about 4
GB on /tmp -- not enough space in RAM or wasting a lot of disk space on
having such big /tmp partition that is most of the time unused. Yes, you
can tell Brasero to use some other space, but it obviously relies on
volatility of the /tmp and doesn't clean after itself. I'm quite sure
this is not only the case of Brasero.

We should file bugs on those issues and add them to some tracker bug, which will be created for tmpfs related issues. Brasero, k3b and applications for scanning will probably need patches. I hope some of these bugs were fixed, because Debian already have tmpfs on /tmp.

Marcela

I'm still not convinced that there's any actual benefit from this change for 99% of the users. Filing bugs on anything that uses /tmp because it _might_ make a file which is inconveniently large seems more like busy work than actually solving a problem.

In the FHS /tmp is only defined as a place for temporary files which may not be preserved between reboots. There is nothing about size and this change puts an additional limitation on /tmp which isn't codified anywhere and will vary greatly from installation to installation -- based on memory/swap size.

Additionally, if programs are leaving large temp files and not cleaning them up, then they're putting them in /var/tmp where it will take even longer to clean them up automatically.

Brian