Re: /tmp on tmpfs

On Apr 3, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>> * The competition for space between things in /tmp and VM.  When someone
>> abuses space in /tmp (on purpose or not) then the system is going to
>> start swapping and performance is going to suffer and the common
>> response for fixing it will end up being 'just reboot'.  That's just gross.
>
> First, tmpfs can be swapped.  If you are swapping tmpfs files, how is
> that any worse than having /tmp on a disk?

As long as it's swapped well before it starts to be a significant (i.e. not necessarily majority) contributor to a low-memory situation, fine.

>  Also, if some user has taken
> up lots of space in /tmp, you can LART the user and delete the files;
> that's no different than a user filling up a partition by writing to
> /tmp (no reboot necessary in either case).

Using RAM, I'd be comfortable for /tmp using around 100MB, whereas for disk it might be 1GB. So, an order of magnitude difference in my tolerance level. Or on mobile, 1MB and 100MB, two orders of magnitude. Just depends.

> Also, on servers where there are users with shell access, I'll typically
> limit the size of /tmp with an option in fstab (the default is RAM/2,
> which can be larger than I'd like).

1/2 of installed RAM? That just seems really, really excessive.

Chris Murphy