Re: /tmp on tmpfs

> On Mon, 02.04.12 20:58, Richard W.M. Jones (rjones@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Heya,
>
>> The feature page is wrong about "The user experience should barely
>> change.  This is mostly a low-level change that has little visibility to
>> the user."
>
> Well, i'd claim this is not really user visible if implemented correctly.
> This is however visible to the developer.
>
>> tmpfs is different in a number of important ways:
>>
>> - it's very limited in space compared to a real disk
>
> Yes, large files need to be placed on /var/tmp, which is explained in the
> feature page.
>
>> - it doesn't support O_DIRECT
>
> Well, all code using O_DIRECT should probably have a fallback to work
> without, anyway, and very likely has. O_DIRECT doesn't really make sense
> for tmpfs, it isn't really a feature that currently isn't supported and
> could be implemented, it is something that genuinly makes little sense for
> tmpfs...
>
>> - it doesn't support user extended attrs; and not very old kernels didn't
>> support any xattrs at all, meaning things like SELinux labels don't work
>
> We do this change for F18, not for old Fedora with old kernels. SELinux
> labels work fine on tmpfs. User xattr patches have recently been posted on
> lkml, but indeed are not supported right now.
>
>> All this means it's going to need a bit more testing, since potentially
>> any package that stores a file on /tmp should be tested and may need to
>> be fixed.
>
> But yes, this is absolutely true. We do expect breakages. That's why our
> plan is: Turn on early in the F18 cycle. Fix bugs which appear as they show
> up. If they are too many, revert to turned off.
>
> I will post a longer annoucnement of this with suggested fixes to
> fedora-devel when we make the upload to turn this on for F18.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lennart

I have been running with a tmpfs /tmp for years, without a problem.  I have
found the having /tmp be anything else that a tmpfs has caused me pain over
the years with mislabeled files or files with the wrong UID.

Change to use a confined user or change the UID of a user suddenly X will not
allow you to login, reboot does not fix the problem.

With tmpfs I get a nice clean /tmp on every boot.