Re: Managing the GNOME updates in Fedora

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:07:45 -0400,
  Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The trick is to not build for rawhide ever, until after the stable
release is out, and instead rely on inheritance. Since building
everything twice is just a terrible waste of effort, and makes this
whole mass building thing even more of a torture. But, of course, this
only works if you get on the right track when doing the first build
after the fork - unfortunately, our forking setup makes it not easy to
avoid doing at least one accidental F18 build before you notice the new
branch...

If we really want to rely on this process, I think we should reconsider
having rawhide inherit from the previous release's (currently f17)
updates.

Currently it can take a while for fixes that are just in f17-updates-testing
to make it to rawhide. This is particular bad around freezes.

Another thing to note about not doing builds for rawhide, is that we don't
get early testing of build issues for things that are in rawhide but not
in branched.