Re: Homedir backup (was Re: "Stateless Linux" project)

On 15/09/2004, at 19:48, Carwyn Edwards wrote:

Michael Favia wrote:

We bet a lot of things on theoretical uniqueness in computing. Short of spoofing and freakish occurances im personally willing to bet my "home" on the uniqueness of a mac address.

Really? Even though there is hardware out there that lets the user manually assign the MAC and that there are routers out there that "spoof" MACs for use with broadband ISP access controls?

I can manually override the MAC address of my PowerBook's Ethernet ports. Also, in clustering environments, it's pretty normal to have duplicated MAC addresses.