Re: "Stateless Linux" project

Rudi Chiarito wrote:

Another problem to worry about is saturation of the link upstream. I'm
sure the average user wouldn't want the browser choked by rsync. Yes,
you can tell rsync to use at most N KB/s, but that's not always easy to
get right, if the user is in the position to estimate it at all - not to
mention that link speed might change at any time for e.g. mobile users.

I've always wondered why applications are so greedy individually. Is there no mechanism to throttle requested bandwidth between apps? I often run into instances when a bit torrent uplink is saturating my uplink and crippling my web browsing capabilities because i dont even have enough space to send requests (id imagine thats the cause any way). Obviously i could manually divide my bandwidth but it often changes (laptop and on cable modem with variable up/down at home, bottomless connection speeds at work). Is the overhead of such a monitoring system too high for the benefit? Has it been attempted? There seem to be so many advantages to such a system with the increasing popularity of higbandwidth activities and the general user (Bittorrent, video on demand, aMule, Music services) It just seems like a self auditing network interface would make sense here.

--
Michael Favia           michael at insitesinc dot com
Insites Incorporated    http://michael.insitesinc.com