Re: RFC: Primary architecture promotion requirements

On 03/20/2012 08:47 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
There's nothing blocking ARM from building multiple kernels in that
requirement.  They just need to all be enabled in the SRPM that gets sent
to koji for the build.  We do this for 32-bit x86 already by building both
the normal and PAE i686 variants.  The intention is to basically have a
consistent and reproducible build for all kernels built from a single SRPM.

This is infact what we're doing now- a single kernel build produces rpms for a number of different ARM platforms (omap, tegra, imx, versatile, etc).

I really don't think we want to enable additional kernels for final builds
that have not been tested at all during development of the release.  That
doesn't make sense at all and sounds like poor engineering practice.

Agree.

Another solution might be in koji where the kernels for the additional
platforms would be built in parallel on multiple build hosts. Of course
that would require changes in koji.

That would be acceptable of course, and it would still fit with the
requirement above just fine.

I'm not sure how it would work, but if koji can be extended to distribute a single arch build across multiple systems where an identical srpm can be built with a koji-controlled set of flags, this would take care of the wide-breadth of kernels needing to be built.

We've also had some success with distcc, but have not proposed using it as reproducability of builds becomes an issue.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx