Re: Torvalds:requiring root password for mundane things is moronic

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, drago01 wrote:

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think he's got a point

http://www.osnews.com/story/25659/Torvalds_requiring_root_password_for_mundane_things_is_quot_moronic_quot_

Yeah but last time we tried this in fedora it got "flamefested" so we
had to revert.

From what I remember permissions were opened up without making it clear
this was happening and without an easy way of putting them back, which made things very difficult if you had good reasons for the permissions being locked down. The flamefest was at least in part because things were done badly, leading to the "Fedora introduces security holes" type of headline.

I think the right way to do it is for things to be secure by default, but with easy tools to relax security where appropriate (which could include options to do this during install).

	Michael Young