Re: SELinux-related Rawhide breakage today

On 2012-02-01 15:16, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

On 02/01/2012 12:49 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Daniel J Walsh wrote:
Yes we have shipped a policy that requires the usrmove
functionality.

How many times do we have to tell you that you MUST build usrmove
stuff in the f17-usrmove build target, NOT in f17(-candidate)???

This is already the third time somebody else cleans up your mess!
(Rex Dieter fixed the first offending package, I fixed the second
and now Adam Williamson fixed the third.) Please build your
packages in the correct tag in the first place! (fedpkg build takes
a --target flag for a reason!)

Kevin Kofler

The first two happened at the same time.  The third happened because
of confusion over which is which.  Thanks for your consideration.

But as long as we live in the Rawhide/Non Rawhide world things are
going to be strange and mistakes are going to happen.

Why anyone is on Rawhide and not trying out usrmove is beyond me at
this time.  Rawhide is supposed to be the latest and greatest code...

If we are going to do usrmove, then lets do it and get over the hump.

There are a couple of main reasons:

1) We really didn't want the /usr move to delay Alpha testing. This one is already proving to be genuine: it's looking like we won't really be ready to push the /usr move stuff into 'production' for a day or two at least, but we can still generate working TC1 images today, since we used a tag for /usr move.

2) It was at the time (and to an extent still is) unclear whether the feature will eventually be un-approved. Providing the builds in a tag allows us to try the change out and look for previously unidentified roadblocks. If we hit something which makes us think 'crap, maybe we shouldn't do this after all', we don't have to revert and bump a ton of packages and probably cause some new problems and make things a very bumpy ride for 'regular' Rawhide users: we can just never tag the packages across to the Rawhide repo, and the change will never have happened.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey