Re: Rolling release Fedora - fantastic idea

I'm using Tumbleweed for some releases now and I'm amazed to see how
smooth and painless openSUSE make it look to use and maintain. To
them, it is basically just a repo, but, as Greg said, this "ease of
maintain" is due to the openSUSE Build Service and I'm not sure this
will be so easy in Fedora.

2012/1/30 Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 01/30/2012 08:05 AM, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:
>>

>> Fedora's huge advantage and huge disatvantage is the same - For a great
>> number of packages the package maintainer is upstream developer too.
>> This is great in my eyes, making all other distros not even coming close
>> for development purposes. But I agree that upstream developers
>> might be the weakest point because whenever we have to choose we will
>> choose to fix the upstream project FIRST. And sometimes there will be no
>> time left for Fedora because of real life.
>> And this is the weakest point - I myself would always prefer to fix a
>> problem upstream and not playing some dance to ship latest version on some
>> rolling distro or older-but-supported version.
>> Yes, for me F-(n-1) receives only security fixes though if someone wants
>> he/she can step in and do the rolling/old versions support.
>
> That's not true. The packager decides when/if an update should be passed on
> to n-1. Personally, in the packages I maintain stability is a primary
> concern and updates to n-1 are very carefully considered. Having said that
> if enough people make some noise of course I will update. I *really*
> recommend that people should file bugs against the packages that they think
> need updating. A rolling release is just creating more work - I think there
> is better time spent focusing on the packages that we/you need
>
>> So yes someone can count package maintainers as the weakest point - from a
>> very limited Fedora POV, if one looks on the big (Linux-wide) picture the
>> observations would be very different.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>>> --

Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior