Re: Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

On Wednesday 25 January 2012 19:05:37 Manuel Escudero wrote:
> And also I've been told this desktop is available for
> ArchLinux now as well... As for this facts I was wondering
> how feasible is to port Unity to Fedora as well

The last I heard from the Arch packaging efforts was that Unity won't be an
officially supported package until it no longer depends on non-upstream patches
to GTK+ and friends.

The same seems to be true for OpenSuse:
> Since we're replacing some of the core components of openSUSE (ex: GTK+,
> gnome-session) the priority is important.
(pasted from your link)

I don't think I'm going out on a limb if I say that this doesn't look like
Unity will hit Fedora repos anytime soon. You may look at
repos.fedorapeople.org, though.

As far as I remember Adam Williamson once looked at the feasibility of
packaging Unity for Fedora. Don't know what was the result, though. Maybe he
can elaborate on that.

Lars