Re: The question of rolling release?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/24/2012 08:21 PM, Mark Bidewell wrote:
>

>> Recommended Cycles for major upgrades for each group:
>> 1) User - As soon as possible.
>> 2) System - 6 months.
>> 3) Core - 12-18 months.
>
> Problem is that, it is often the case that 1) requires updates in 2) and
> sometimes even 3)
>
> Rahul
> --

Hence why I wish there was some commitment to ABI stability :-(.
However, I don't think the situation is as dire as you suggest.  for
the following reasons:

1)  I don't think that many changes in the user section would rely
heavily on new libraries.  (Firefox 9 and Libreoffice both run fine on
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS which is almost 2 years old).
2)  If a User package does require system changes the the upgrade
waits to the next system release (This is the current Fedora model).
3)  If a package needed changes to all three (I can't think of an
example KVM maybe).  Then a release could be cut with everything at
the latest/required versions.  Interested users could upgrade, the
remainder would be brought current at the next "core" release.

The big idea behind what I propose is that package upgrades need to be
differentiated based on the potential for disruption.  An upgrade to
libreoffice is less disruptive than a kernel upgrade and an upgrade to
Gnome is more disruptive than a libreoffice upgrade.

--
Mark Bidewell
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidewell