Re: Too much bureaucracy or not enough interest? (Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for F-17)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 18:45:28 +0100, KK (Kevin) wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Why must it be the opposite? Arbitrary access to packages, possibly
> > sporadic or random upgrades (as time permits), with no one taking care of
> > the packages normally.
>
> Because it's a much more effective use of our limited manpower. Everyone
> does what they currently have time for, without requiring a long-term
> commitment, the overhead of having to ask for commit access, discuss things
> with some assigned maintainer who thinks (because that's what he/she's told
> by the project) that he/she "owns" the package (all of which requires you to
> wait for the maintainer's answer, which wastes time and means you might no
> longer have free time when the answer finally arrives, plus, sometimes, you
> have to nag the maintainer several times to even get an answer at all) etc.
> I strongly believe that in the end, that would lead to MORE problems getting
> fixed, not fewer.

Unconvincing.   It could be that

 - nobody finds the time to take care of a specific package,

 - nobody has enough interest to monitor upstream development for the package,

 - nobody handles incoming bug reports for the package,

 - nobody really uses the package, some users give it a try, but perhaps
   it doesn't work well,

 - nobody can guarantee that the package (or a set of related packages)
   will still be _low maintenance_ type of packages next year (that could
   be due to upstream development or stuff getting ancient, and suddenly
   you're supposed to deal with old APIs and broken/unmaintained software),

 - everyone, who has touched the package over the past years, suddenly
   does not do that anymore -- you refer to no "long-term commitment", but
   actually long-term commitment is needed, even if it means that a new
   maintainer supersedes the previous maintainer from time to time,

and for a different package,

 - somebody apparently takes care of it, but somebody else all of a sudden
   applies an upgrade for no particular reason and then hides again.

[package retirement process to cumbersome]

> One example is smb4k. I hadn't noticed that because I don't use it myself,

"Case closed" I could throw in here then. ;)

> but more than one user has asked for it,

And here, too.   [that deserves a :-( smiley actually]

> and if it just required me to hit a
> button and then fix the occasional FTBFS issues every few months, I'd
> probably sign up for it. Going through the rereview process (plus the SCM
> admin request to unretire the package, plus the rel-eng request to unblock
> it) just exceeded my threshold of what I'm willing to do for a package I
> don't use, at least up to now (and it might also be hard to get somebody to
> actually do the rereview).
>
> Reportedly, the package was building and working just fine, so there was no
> practical reason for it to get retired in the first place, even though it
> had no assigned primary maintainer.

It's somewhat tragic there's an endless loop already.

If the package requires "no to low" maintenance, it is low-hanging fruit
for newbies, too. And if nobody volunteers to take it, the loop restarts.