Re: service and user-agent disclosure - please consider privacy

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 03:24:14PM +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:

> Why is that a topic for fedora? I don't think, we should patch
> programs and remove the versions printing everywhere. You are free to
> discuss this with upstream and that's it (or do a foo-privacy fork of
> course ;)).

the privacy issue is a topic for Fedora because Fedora desktop users
have a substantial disadvantage compared to users of more frequently
used desktops. Intercepting a Fedora version string will in most
regions of the world identify a particular user.

A privacy fork will not help that - using a particular fork with some
dozens of users will make those users even easier trackable.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers