Re: service version disclosure

Am 07.01.2012 06:35, schrieb Digimer:
>> if you have a big customer which hires a 3rd party auditor
>> you are NOT in the poisiton to give such arguments or
>> you can give them but you can not change ANYTHING in
>> the fact that finally "fix it or shutdown the service"
>> is what you have to do
>
> If you have a "security expert" who can't grasp the concept of
> back-ported bug fixes, and is unwilling to test for specific
> vulnerabilities' existence, it's time to get a new expert.

you are missing the point A BIG CUSTOMER has a security-expert

>> if i need to know my version of sshd or any other service
>> i make a "rpm -qa | grep package", if somebody else likes
>> to know he has to tell the question as i have for foreign
>> servers
>
> Connecting programs don't have the luxury of 'rpm -q', and must rely on
> the version returned by the server to know how to pass data. Things
> change over time, and you certainly can't expect a server to behave the
> same over (sometimes long) periods of time.

connecting program rely on the PROTOCL version

currently: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8
but "SSH-2.0" si the only relevant part here!

for other services like imap, smtp and whatever there is also no
single need for a client to know even the server-software

the client only needs to know the capabilities of the server

and since you wrote "concept of back-ported bug fixes" you seem
to know that the server-software / version in this context is
nonsense