Re: mysql is now a critpath package? WTF?

On 01/05/2012 09:03 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Brendan Jones wrote:
Can understand that this is a hot topic but ... Surely for a single user
desktop you don't need a concurrent DB backend.

Try reading your existing mail while fetching new one. (Just one example.)

(And that hasn't worked with KMail 1 ever, AFAIK KMail 2 finally fixes this,
but it only really works if Akonadi has a concurrent database, otherwise the
UI responds, but can only show you a "waiting for Akonadi lock" message.)

         Kevin Kofler

I'm sorry but that's just bad design. I develop and deploy many applications which run under much more stringent restrictions, ie. do not have the luxury to run mysql. And yes, these are challenging issues, but its not that hard to provide a solution for a single user.

Obviously, if I had the choice as to the backend I'd prefer, it would not be sqlite. But in the case of the desktop?