Re: Need some advice on best packaging practices for a tricky package?

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just ignore rpmlint there. :-) If you have proper Requires in place to
> ensure the symlink targets will actually be installed, it's fine.

I do, so I'll just ignore them.

> Yes, it's called noarch subpackages and has been supported in Fedora for a
> while. Just declare the subpackage as:
> BuildArch: noarch
>
> Note that the main package MUST be arch-specific if you have any arch-
> specific subpackages, you cannot have arch-specific subpackages of a noarch
> package, only noarch subpackages of an arch-specific package.

Ah.  That's where I was going wrong.

> /usr/<target> is the standard location for cross toolchains, and cross
> toolchains (and ONLY cross toolchains) are allowed to use such a location
> (though IIRC it never got officially codified in our guidelines because the
> cross-compiler guidelines never got formalized; but de facto, the existing
> cross compiler packages already use this).
>
> /usr/cross/<target> is entirely non-standard and IMHO a bad idea.

Yeah.  I was trying to avoid clashing with other toolchains, but I guess the
name of the binary in /usr/bin/ is likely to do that anyway.

Can rpmlint be altered to accept apparent <target>-named directories in /usr/?

> There is no requirement that binaries have manpages in Fedora. Though in
> this case, just link the manpage.
>
> The purpose of ld.bfd is that this is always the regular BFD-based GNU ld
> whereas just ld can be e.g. gold.

I see.

> >  (8) The package installs gpl.7.gz and similar common-looking manpages in
> >  man7.
> >      Is this a bad idea, just in case there's a conflict with another
> >      package wanting to do the same?
>
> Yes. Don't package this. We don't normally ship licenses as manpages. See
> the next paragraph for what to do instead.
>
> >      Is there/ should there be a common GPL licence text RPM with these
> >      files in it that RPMs can be made dependent on?
>
> Ship the license with %doc COPYING, in a package which is required by all
> the other subpackages. (If given only a file name without a path, %doc
> automatically creates a unique path for the package to ship the text file
> in.) For legal reasons, every package MUST carry its license in at least one
> subpackage, and ALL subpackages must either carry the license or Require one
> of the subpackages which do. A common license package for the whole
> distribution (like Debian does it) does NOT comply with the GPL. The
> packages are not necessarily distributed as part of the distribution, and
> the GPL explicitly requires every GPLed package to carry a copy of the GPL,
> no matter whether the distribution already has one.

Fair enough.

Interestingly, the core binutils does not seem to comply with this:

	warthog>rpm -ql binutils-devel binutils | grep -i gpl
	warthog1>rpm -ql binutils-devel binutils | grep -i licen[cs]e
	warthog1>rpm -ql binutils-devel binutils | grep -i COPYING
	warthog1>

David