Re: Canonical Will Remove Java From Ubuntu

On 12/22/2011 10:41 AM, Paul Howarth wrote:
> At $WORKPLACE I use a Java app (via javaws) - EMC NetWorker Management
> Console - that won't work with OpenJDK (it pops up a username/password
> window as expected but doesn't then pop up the main app window once the
> username+password have been entered), whilst it does work with
> Sun/Oracle java 6 and 7. I would much rather use OpenJDK but I haven't
> a clue how to track down what the problem is, knowing next to nothing
> about java.

We will try to fix this if we can get enough information.

FWIW -- and you may be surprised by this -- javaws and the browser
plugin aren't part of Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE) or of
OpenJDK but are a different project (IcedTea-Web) altogether.

We have had very few compatibility issues with Java SE itself.

Andrew.