Re: Starting mysql

"Paul F. Johnson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> No idea why I can't get mysql running on my rawhide box. When I try to
> start it up, I get the infamous
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> This looks like the daemon isn't running or the service isn't running.

Yup, that's what it looks like.

> service mysql or service mysqld is giving nothing and I can't find
> mysqld anywhere either.

Ummm ... do you have mysql-server RPM installed?  But in any case,
Fedora's mysql package was converted to systemd some time ago, so you
might have better luck using the native systemd service management
commands:

	systemctl enable mysqld.service
	systemctl start mysqld.service
	systemctl status mysqld.service

If "start" fails, there might be relevant info in either or both of
/var/log/messages and /var/log/mysqld.log.

(One of the prime reasons forcing conversion to systemd was that
systemd's handling of SysV init scripts is so utterly user-unfriendly.
It surprises me not at all that the emulated "service" commands aren't
telling you anything useful.  They pretty much suck, so you should
learn the new ones ASAP.)

			regards, tom lane