Re: Dropping the ownership model

Le mardi 22 novembre 2011 à 13:20 -0500, Aleksandar Kurtakov a écrit :
> As much as we have disagreed on the previous topic we might have similar thoughts here :).

Things may have changed a little nowadays :)

Mandriva, who use a system similar to what was proposed by Johann, face
some issues ( lots of package not officially maintained, so the and that
caused some problem ), and recently faced some friction with some
contributors.

On the other hand, this helped a lot to be able to maintain the
distribution with a rather lower number of people. It should be kept in
mind that security support on stable is done by a dedicated (often
overworked) team, for a supported subset of rpm only, and done by
community for the rest ( and that was rather messy ).

For Mageia, we ( or at least I ) try to see if a mix between the two
could be used :

- all packages ( modulo some exceptions ) can be modified by anybody in
the proper group ( packager ). People need to be trained before pushing
packages.

- at least 1 person should responsible of each package ( ie, get bug
report, do security update, has the last word in case of issue with
others packagers, unless conflict is escalated to $governance_bodies ).
But due to various organisational issue ( like having created packages
before having a working packager database ), there is still lots of
unowned packages.

- changes to a package are notified to the maintainer ( and others ).
( not done currently, but on the TODO list since a long time ). Inspired
by the kde svn notification system.

And we have a rather conservative approach regarding version upgrade,
especially during freeze and on stable releases, so the problem of
"someone upgraded libfoo and broke some stuff" is lower ( not inexistant
but at least, it only touch the devel version, which is less risky than
rawhide according to most people, and so more used ).

I have also noted people do not like the idea of dropping unmaintained
packages, but such is human nature.

Some of Mageia packagers have asked for group maintainership, similar to
the SIG-maintainer proposal, but for the same reason highlighted in the
thread, i fear this would dilute responsibility.

Something worth keeping in mind is to separate the actual commit/submit
rights from any type of notification. IE, I am quite sure that some
people would be happy to get notification of bugs and changes on some
packages, without being co-maintainer. This would permit to find
co-maintainers more easily IMHO, and surely foster cooperation between
various distributions and with upstream. This would also help by
engaging testers, etc.

--
Michael Scherer