Re: Dropping the ownership model

On 11/22/2011 06:46 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:51:31 +0000
> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> What do people see as pros and cons continuing to use the current
>> package ownership model?
>>
>> Would it be practical to dropping it altogether which in essence
>> would make every contributor an "proven packager"?
> I'm not sure it would be.
>
>> Would it be viable to move to something like language SIG based
>> ownership of packages?
> Well, if we did that we would need to revamp SIGs I suppose.
> We would need to make sure that there was some kind of SIG that covered
> all packages so people would know who to talk with. Also, currently
> some SIGs are very active and some really aren't at all. Also, a number
> of SIGs overlap.

Yup moving to SIG based/Group ownership based approach would certainly
require revamping their current status.

>> As in lower the barrier of entry of contributor without the need and
>> or introduction of an package or any sponsorship and have them
>> assigned to relevant SIG based on language they either know or want
>> to learn. ( not necessarly having to tie packaging with code
>> contribution ).
> One thing thats worth noting here is:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#Become_a_co-maintainer
>
> As another avenue to becoming a packager.

Cant these things to be separately completely as in the requirement to
become "packager" to be able to contribute to a package and the need for
sponsor ship be dropped in the process.

Atleast the one way as I see it is to move the SIG/Group based
ownerships of components anykind of barrier of entry would be removed
for participation and if/when the SIG/Group deems the individual ready
it will handle granting him any permissions the individual might lack
over the packages they oversee.

>> The governing body of the SIG would in essence be the once that would
>> be responsible for the components.
>>
>> So as an example a indvidual skilled in Java who would want to join
>> the project would automatically be assigned to the java SIG which in
>> turn would be assigned and managing all Java related components then
>> the Java SIG based on what ever process/workflow they have decided
>> would assign to that individual what ever task is needed at current
>> times prioritized by the knowledge and resource they posses.
>>
>> So basically the barrier of entry is no higher than what the
>> individual wants to learn or knows already as in..
>>
>> Do you know or want to learn python. Join the python SIG etc...
>>
>> Do you want to learn distribution packaging join the Packaging SIG
> Good example. How do we handle overlaps here? Y

Would we need to as in would not an individual be able to participate in
as many SIG's/Groups as he wants too?

> Someone wishes to help with general packaging things, so they need to
> update the java package guidelines and fix those packages. Do they join
> the Packaging SIG? Java sig? both?

Yeah why not joining both however he ofcourse would need to follow
anykind of packaging standards the  Java SIG ( Or any SIG/Group he might
be a part of ) would have should that package be overseed by the Java
SiG ( Or any relevant SIG/Group he might be a part of ),

>> Or the individual would learn how to package components relevant to
>> the SIG he just joined
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Far off and totally crazy, you are mad!
>>
>> What meds are you on can I have some?
>>
>> The SIG approach is something that actually might work...
> I'm not convinced it would, without changing how our sigs are setup.

That ofcourse might need some rethinking.

JBG