Re: Changing kernel API / Breaking VirtualBox - update criteria violation?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:08:14PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:53:13AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>  > According to the updates policy the
>  > maintainer needs to consider that their change will cause problems for third
>  > party kernel module packagers and end users that are compiling their own
>  > kernel modules.
>
> We *know* we're going to break out of tree modules. It's entirely expected.
> There's nothing to consider here at all.

I don't disagree with your first two sentences.  In fact I'd go further --
It's not only expected, it's also accepted by you.

The third sentence is the only thing that I think needs to be looked at in
terms of the Update Policy.  The updates policy and the updates vision on
which it is based strive to make maintainers realize that pushing updates
has both positive and negative effects on end users.  Some of those effects
are also "expected and accepted".  For instance, the updates vision says
"Similarly, dealing with a large number of updates on a regular basis is
distracting from the user's desired productivity tasks."  Simply issuing an
update is in and of itself one negative in the updates vision.

So, yes, it may be fully expected that issuing an update will break out of
tree modules but that doesn't stop it from being one factor to *consider*.

Just remember that I am *not* arguing that just because you should be
considering it you have to decide that it's more important than you already
do.  You think of it as a cost of doing business just like the cost to the
user of "dealing with a large number of updates" at all.  This is a cost that
you have implicitly weighed against the benefits of being able to bring new
kernels to the end user that fix real bugs, support new hardware, and are
otherwise beneficial.  I have no problem with you deciding that the benefit
amply justifies the cost.

-Toshio