Re: (re)introducing - fedora-review - tool to help with package reviews

On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 13:25 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 01:14 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> > Hello fellow devs,
> >
> > I am sure quite a few of you have done some reviews and thought "Hey,
> > a,b,c and d could be automated. For E I could use some more
> > information that can be automatically gathered". Some of you even
> > wrote your own tools to do some of these things.
> >
> > Yet there is no unified tool, nor format for package reviews. There
> > are more reasons, but I guess biggest one is there are just too many
> > guidelines and there is probably no one who knows all of them. So few
> > of us got together and hopefully created something that can be used by
> > everyone.
> >
> > fedora-review[1] is now in updates-testing. It provides several checks:
> >   66 generic tests (licensing, md5sum sources, bundling, etc.)
> >   9  c/c++ specific checks (static libs, ldconfig, headers, rpath etc.)
> >   13 java specific checks (javadoc, depmaps, jpackage-utils reqs)
> >   8  R specific checks
> >
> > There are still many more checks waiting to be written. I'd like to
> > see Perl, Python and Ruby checks, though I am not *that* familiar with
> > their guidelines. I think the important thing here is that checks can
> > be written in basically any language. We have simple JSON api[2] using
> > stdin/stdout for communication. There is an example external plugin in
> > documentation in perl and shell (though that's just mock-check).
> >
> > Our goal is for each language SIG (or other specific package group) to
> > maintain their own checks together with their guidelines.
> >
> > * How you can help *
> >    - Tell us what checks are missing
> >    - Tell us if you think checks are doing it wrong
> >    - Create new checks (in language of your choice - we have JSON api)
> >        - do this even if the test cannot be automated. At least it will
> >          appear on the checklist for your packages!
> >    - Any ideas, bugreports etc will be much appreciated
> >

> > [1] https://fedorahosted.org/FedoraReview
> > [2] https://fedorahosted.org/FedoraReview/browser/api/README
>
> Is this not something that releng/autoqa could use as well as in run
> against all already existing specs and automatically file bugs if they
> aren't ( and to keep things ) up to guidelines?

As more and more extended tests become available one could think of
this. However there are a number of cases where packages go against
guideline (especially the rpmlint output must be clean)* for valid
reasons.
So running blindly the tool without a human look to the output to fill
bug reports might not be such a good idea.

Pierre

* Ok, here we could use the integration between fedpkg lint and
the .rpmlint file in the repo