Re: cisco vpn because of ipsec over tcp

Hi.

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:34:04 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote

>   It seems you have your layering wrong. IPSec operates on IP
> protocol, below UDP and TCP.  Only IKE, the key exchange, protocol
> works on UDP. Maybe you thought about different technology? For VPN,
> OpenVPN provided in Fedora support TCP transport

The Cisco VPN client (and vpnc) can encapsulate ESP in UDP, to
help transmission through firewalls, NAT and the like, the operative
term for that is NAT-T. The Cisco VPN client can also use TCP encapsulation,
although I think that requires support on the terminating device as
well (it will not work by default).

I've never used it in practice.