Re: Why does git merge have so much trouble with Fedora package branches?

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My problem came in the case where someone has already *not* done this -
> they've updated f16 separately from, and more than, master, and I wanted
> to get them back in sync.

If you want to keep merging as long as possible, and you are in a
position where F16 and master are starting to diverge, the trick is to
apply your changes to f16 _first_, then merge those changes into
master.

This assumes that f16 is a subset of master.

This naturally works well only in some cases, and given a compact spec
file, you might get pointless conflicts.

As f16 and master start diverging more significantly, cherry-pick is
probably the most practical recourse.

 martin.langhoff@xxxxxxxxx
 martin@xxxxxxxxxx -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions