Re: why do I need colord?

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/8/11 1:08 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> Yea, but a lot of people don't have those either. I have around 5K
>> servers in DCs with not a single printer or scanner in site. The vast
>> majority of the 4 million odd XOs out there while they have a screen
>> don't have a printer or scanner anywhere in sight.
>
> On a server like that, you won't have cups installed, so nothing will be
> pulling in colord.  Whereas if you _do_ have cups installed, because it's a
> print server, then you might like very much for the colors in the image on
> the screen to match the colors deposited on the paper.

Until LSB gets updated you often do get it pulled in though (and a lot
of GUI stuff as well) unfortunately.

> On an XO all colord pulls over baseline Gnome is sane-backends-libs and
> lcms2, and even that's guessing, I'd be a little surprised if those didn't
> end up in the image already.  I guess there's an argument to be had over
> whether that 1M of disk space is really worth spending on enabling
> color-accurate image editing on an XO, but that's really for OLPC to decide
> for their image.

Its a lot more than 1Mb, and its something we constantly have to fight
to keep the dependencies sane. As ARM ramps up and people get more and
more interested in running gnome on fedora on all sorts of tablet and
similar devices with small amounts of storage it will receive more and
more attention I suspect.

Peter