Re: Proposing Fedora Feature for private /tmp and /var/tmp for all systemd services in Fedora 17.

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:33:00 +0100
Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 08.11.11 13:31, Stijn Hoop (stijn@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > > Well, that way attackers might still be able fool the admin: i.e.
> > > he could create a directory with a service name and some
> > > randomized suffix and the admin might blindly believe that this
> > > directory belongs to the service, even if it doesn't, but belongs
> > > to the evil attacker. Using a fully randomized name is a bit more
> > > secure here, since the admin always needs to check the service
> > > first for the actual directory.
> >
> > But isn't the point of having namespaced /tmp that no network-facing
> > service is even able to create a directory in the main namespace?
> > In other words, if the attacker is able to create a directory in the
> > main namespace, you've already lost?
>
> I was talking of a local attacker here, not a remote one.

Right, I assumed that this would be implemented for every user != root
(basically). In other words, also for normal local users. I now see
that you intend to instantiate it "only" for services by default, and
the reason why (sharing) makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

--Stijn