Re: F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 03:24 +0000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Mathieu Bridon <bochecha <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
> > [..snip..] and thanks to my incredibly poor focus [..snip..]
>
> > Oh, and I don't think I am a "Joe Average" or an "Aunt Tillie": I'm a
> > Fedora package maintainer, Python developer, a release engineer for an
> > in-house Linux distribution at $dayjob, and I spend most of my time in a
> > terminal.
> >
> > Hopefully that will clear the myth that Gnome 3 is not for power users /
> > developers.
>
> If you have so incredibly poor focus, how do you do all these things? ;-)

Simple: I try very hard to do one at a time.

Of course I have windows opened all over the place between all of them,
but Gnome 3 allows me to avoid switching context as much as possible,
which is what costs me the most in terms of productivity.

Sure, I could avoid switching contexts in Gnome 2 as well, but that
would have required more discipline on my part. With Gnome 3, I don't
need more discipline, the OS does (mostly) the right thing. (it could be
perfected of course ;)

> Not one person that is happy with Gnome 3 has been able to explain to me why
> overview is _required_ for any of these things to work.

It's not required, nothing ever is.

It's just an incredibly convenient thing to have:
- when I'm focused on doing something, I have the current window
(usually maximized, sometimes a couple of windows tiled together to
occupy the whole screen) and nothing else. Nothing will blink, move or
require my attention in any way
- when I **decide** to switch contexts (to run a new app, to search for
a contact, to manage my windows,...) I just go to the overview and
everything is there, providing me with an efficient access to all those
functions.

In other words, the overview allows me to have 2 isolated modes of
interacting with my computer, which adapts very well how my brain works.

Or as another example, when I want to start working on a new task, I can
just go to the overview, and start dragging and dropping icons
everywhere to run all the applications I'm going to need. And I can do
that on a new desktop, dynamically created just for this purpose, which
will be discarded once I have finished working on this task and close
all the associated windows.

> In the absence of that
> and believe me, with all due respect, I do not see why I have to go through two
> view switches and expose animation just to start an app.

You don't have to: you can always use another DE.

There is no way one DE^wproduct of any kind will ever be adapted to
everyone. Why would you choose to impose yourself the pain of using a
product not adapted to you is beyond me.

  "Doctor, when I do that, it hurts..."
  "Well, then don't do that"

Unless you actually take pleasure in putting yourself through that
pain? :)

And if you really loved Gnome 2 so much, I'm sure the MATE developers
would love your help:
    https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment#readme

--
Mathieu