Re: UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 09:06 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >> This sounds interesting (speaking as an admin that typically sets up
> >> servers with separate, ro-mounted, /usr).  I'm not sure about moving
> >> _everything_ to /usr, but I guess that's one approach.  Other Unix
> >> systems I've used have had /bin as a symlink to /usr/bin, but not /sbin
> >> (still kept core system maintenance tools in /sbin on root fs).  I'm
> >> also not sold on eliminating sbin directories (I like having "system
> >> admin" type stuff kept separate), and I don't see why that needs to be
> >> rolled into the same feature (especially as just a footnote, not a
> >> top-line change).
> >
> > What does it gain to have /sbin and /usr/sbin?
> Not molest ordinary users with tools they are not supposed to used.
+1

> > Security through
> > obscurity?
> Right, yes.
Not by any means. Except if we made the whole /usr/sbin unreadable to
regular non-root user. I do not think anyone sensible says that split of
sbin and bin is done due to security. However this is not a problem. The
split is useful for giving regular users only such tools into their
$PATH that make sense to be used by regular users and not to confuse
them with tools that they do not and cannot have any use of.

> > We already have it in $PATH for the normal user.
> Right, Fedora made the mistake to do so.
Exactly. This was not a good move at all. If there were any commands in
sbin that are usable also for regular users then they should have been
moved to bin.

Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb