Re: UsrMove feature (was Re: FESCo meeting minutes for 2011-10-24)

2011/10/24 Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Micha=B3_Piotrowski?= <mkkp4x4@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> 2011/10/24 Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Using env has always been a hack (and overhead, especially on otherwise
>>> short shell scripts).
>
>> Yeah, this solution has its drawbacks, but it also has undoubted
>> advantages. Generally speaking it is better for end users to use
>> #!/usr/bin/env php/python/whatever in scripts.
>
> Why?

For example - you can switch to different version of language
interpreter with different configuration without modification of the
script and without the hassle for server admin.

> This whole thing seems like make-work for packagers, and big
> compatibility problems for users, for negligible benefit to either.

I do not suggest this as a standard for Fedora scripts. I note only
that it is very useful for end users.

>                        regards, tom lane
> --

Best regards,