Re: Systemd unit file: Can/Should ExecStart and ExecStop run a script?

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd think best practice here would be for mythbackend package to create
> a mythbackend user which is a member of audio and video groups, and have
> the startup script run mythbackend as that user...would there be any
> problem with that approach?

I don't see any issue with that, but I'm new to the "behind the
scenes" part of MythTV. I assume the reason for running as root is
ease of configuration.

The main problem with changing that now, is that all recordings are
owned by the user mythbackend runs as, so if I were to change that in
an update, the end user would not be able to delete any recordings
owned by root.

Richard