Re: Building cpufreq modules into F16 kernel is it right or wrong?

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 12:49 +0200, Vratislav Podzimek wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 22:40 +0300, alekcejk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Frequency scaling have negative effects for me
> > so I need to have it disabled in BIOS.
> What negative effects does frequency scaling have for you when using
> governor performance?

Dunno for alexey, but for me it causes my machine to go in thermal
shutdown quite soon.
Even switching to ondemand doesn't work as the machine keeps running at
100% speed until the temp is too high and the ACPI commands to shutdown
because the CPU is too hot.

I now have a script I run that monitors the temperature and switches
between ondemand and powersave (runs at 800Mhz fixed frequency) states,
so that if temp is too high it slows everything down untill temp comes
back down to a cool 60C.

Even with my script that does just simple polling every few seconds,
sometimes I still suffer from thermal shutdwon due to the fact the
kernel is too dumb to understand it has to trhottle when temp is too
high.

This didn't happen on F15 (samba hardware) so I guess we will have happy
F16 users very soon :-/

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York