Re: Fedora kernel bug day.

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 07:33:22AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
 > On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 15:36:27 -0400,
 >   Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >
 > > So we're thinking of trying this again this thursday with a focus on 16,
 > > (but triage work on older releases is welcomed too).
 >
 > I have a bug (36242 at the unavailable kernel bugzilla and 684424 in Fedora)
 > where sound being played using my motherboard sound chip and high I/O
 > (it seems like network traffic more so than disk) results in a hang.
 > I haven't been able to get a crash dump or traceback once the hang occurs. I'd
 > be interested in getting this bug looked at, but I think I need some
 > suggestions for how to get a traceback, or there isn't going to be enough info
 > to track this down. I tried some kernel boot parameters to get watchdog
 > timeouts, but that didn't work. Maybe I need to rebuild the kernel with
 > a different config to really enable that feature though?

The kernel-debug rpm should have everything you'd need.

Hardware specific problems like this are a nightmare for us to diagnose.
It might even come down to you needing to do a bisect to find the individual
kernel change that caused the problem. (assuming you know a 'good' version
to start from)

	Dave