Re: openssh: no pre-release sanity check? [Re: ssh-to-rawhide hangs

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 13:39 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > Didn't say like, said similar.  Don't you test your changes somehow?  Or
> > do you just toss the mods over the wall and hope for the best?  I don't
> > think so.  Share your test cases for those packages that should just
> > work--not all packages.  Forget that the changes are for rawhide and
> > forget "that Rawhide is NOT suitable for any sort of
> > production use and that it WILL break. (Not "may", "will"!)"  I bet
> > every developer and maintainer has pride in their work and products and
> > really don't want to put untested changes into any distro.
>
> Testing is exactly what we have Rawhide users for.

Oh please... you're always talking about making life of
developers/maintainers easier, so your apparent lack of regard for the
people doing the testing seems a teeny weeny bit hypocritical. Don't you
think that testers would rather not stumble over bugs which were easy to
avoid in the first place had the maintainer spared a thought or two more
on what he did? I'd rather have testers spend their time on spotting
harder to find issues than on needlessly repairing their systems.

Yes, Rawhide by its nature will break things eventually, but that's a
matter of probability because it is the place where new (untested!)
things get introduced. It shouldn't be a matter of carelessness on
behalf of developers/maintainers.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty