Re: question regarding Fedora packaging

On 14:19:51 Monday 22 August 2011 Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Dim 21 août 2011 13:24, Olivier Sallou a écrit :
> > What is the usual behavior in this case ? Should I check with maintainer
> > if package can be "moved" to Fedora ? (and do it myself if he does not
> > wish to do so)
>
> If done cleanly importing packages from JPackage to Fedora is fine and will
> be welcome from everyone, JPackage maintainer included.
>
> The mistake to avoid is to fork the package and apply Fedora changes
> blindly without discussing them with the original packagers, as you may
> introduce bugs that will be reported JPackage side and make users and
> JPackage people very angry at you - the first ones because you'll break
> all the mised
> JPackage+Fedora installs that exist in the field as soon as they get your
> package as update, the second ones because they'll get problem report
> through no fault of theirs and that they can't fix since the problem will
> be in your package.
>
> The best option is to arrange to become a kind of co-maintainer
> JPackage-side. This way you'll be able to push relevant information from
> one project to the other when necessary. This is how rpmfusion packagers
> synchronize with Fedora packages they depend heavily on.
>
> Even though Jpackage is a much smaller project than Fedora it includes a
> lot more Java packages so it's coverage of Java packages interactions will
> tend to be better than the Fedora one.

Nicolas, while this was true things have changed dramatically last year and
Fedora is now what JPackage was in the past - the place where development
happens and most other distros are basing their work on Fedora and I bet that
one would easily find that even JPackage maintainers are using Fedora's specs
as a base for their packages.
We now ship a lot more uptodate software in Fedora and  generally speaking
what is in Fedora now is not yet reproduced in any other RPM-based distro
except some EE related libs. But things are changing rapidly in this area too
- https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JBossAS7 .
Fedora might even be the first to ship JBossAS7 - in a true community manner -
synced with the rest of the distro :).
This mail is not trying to diminish the significanse of JPackage in forming the
initial packaging base for the Java stack but to point that Fedora and
JPackage took different roads:
 - JPackage cares for EE usecases while Fedora is more conserned about
development tools and end user apps(freemind, jmol, josm...)
- JPackage is trying to produce huge compat platform trying to run any EE
platform, Fedora is trying to unify the stack by spending a huge amount of
time helping upstream move away from ancient libs, build practices and etc.
I can continue listing examples but these 2 alone should be enough for
everyone to see that the projects are departing more and more and that if you
have that different goals you would hardly find common ground.

Regards,
Alexander Kurtakov