Re: Fwd: Rapid DHCP

On Fri 29 July 2011 13:10:34 Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
> Interesting message in another list.
>
> for me fedora  is very slow to get dhcp address.

Reading the hackernews comments on it makes me wonder if this is a very good
idea. It may work for people in certain usecases, but in the case of Fedora
probably not so much

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2756952
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2757785

for examples

> From: Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM
> Subject: Rapid DHCP
> To: OLPC Devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OLPC Australia list
> <olpc-au@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Here's an article that tries to explain why Mac OS is so much faster
> at connecting to networks than Linux and Windows:
>
> http://cafbit.com/entry/rapid_dhcp_or_how_do
>
> Could such an implementation be considered for the OLPC OS? XOs go on
> and off the network all the time, as power management kicks in and the
> machines move in and out of AP range (or switch to a different AP).
> This is a disruptive process, and speeding it up would be welcome.
>
> Sridhar
>

> Sridhar Dhanapalan
> Engineering Manager
> One Laptop per Child Australia
> M: +61 425 239 701
> E: sridhar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> A: G.P.O. Box 731
>      Sydney, NSW 2001
> W: www.laptop.org.au
Ryan Rix -- http://rix.si
== OpenSource.com: Where Open Source Happens! ==
   _
 \/"/_ All Hail the Beefy Miracle!
 /_/
 \ \