Re: Systemd transition prevents updating older release branches??

Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:37:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Michal Hlavinka's solution of explicitly testing for the old sysv init
>> script seems like a win from here, since I don't intend to continue
>> packaging that.  Anyone have an objection to that approach?

> Yes, I object.  As Michal said in his post, the %post that he uses is
> problematic if someone has installed a package with sysv init scripts for
> that service.

That argument seems like a straw man, considering that the file to be
tested for was provided by the previous version of mysql-server, and
that the test would only be made when we know we are upgrading (not
freshly installing) mysql-server.  It's hardly likely that anyone was
providing a conflicting version of it.  Moreover, what's the downside
if someone did?  His sysv-based boot configuration would get migrated
to systemd.  Not exactly fatal, I think.

> Please read the link I posted to Ville's message instead[1]_.

Thanks, but I do not intend to make it my job to do extensive testing
of someone else's scriptlets.  This work should have been done by the
systemd team before foisting a poorly-thought-out upgrade process on
the rest of us.

On balance I still think that Michal's solution is the least risky.
None of these solutions are perfect, but that one is the least likely
to fail over time.

			regards, tom lane