Re: VPN solution(s) for Fedora Core

On 23/05/2004, at 2:10 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Saturday 22 May 2004 19:06, Nathan Robertson wrote:
I know this will leave a bad taste in peoples mouths, but from a
practicality point of view the Microsoft VPN (MPPE and friends, iirc)
is implemented by a kernel patch in ppp CVS (providing the ppp_mppe
module). [...]

I do believe the biggest thing is that the module taints your kernel. Non GPL compliant I do believe.

cobra:~# lsmod Module Size Used by Tainted: P [...] ppp_mppe 12320 0 (unused) [...]

Damn. It's tainted, yes. Never noticed. I'm looking at the patch and don't see any nasty license issues - just a lack of a explicit GPL compatible flag set. It consists of:

- a patch to the current ppp (derived work, hence GPL).
- sha1.[ch] - in comments at the top -- "100% Public Domain"
- ppp_mppe_compress.c - "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies."

So in my view it's actually a mix between GPL, public domain and a BSD style license. Looks GPL compatible to me. Just needs to be noted as explicitly so, so it doesn't taint the kernel. Am I right?

Having said that, I haven't tested it with 2.6 kernel, and the headers say 2.2 and 2.4 (presumably because it hasn't been tested).

Nathan.