Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 10.07.11 20:49, Steve Dickson (SteveD@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>> > The word "service" is mostly used synonymously with "daemon" in the
>> > systemd context, and we prefer if people write one service file for each
>> > daemon, as this is the easiest to understand for admins and users and
>> > makes sure supervision/monitoring works properly.
>>
>> Ok.. Now understand where my confusion is... Currently when one
>> want to start the nfs server they type 'service nfs start' which
>> calls a number of binaries and ultimately a system daemon.
>>
>> Now if they enable want secure nfs, they edit a file in /etc/systconf
>> and simply type 'service nfs restart' which again runs a number
>> of binaries and start a couple of system daemons.
>>
>> My point it this. You are changing the meaning of 'service'. People
>> expect a service to be just that as service. When one starts a
>> service all the needed daemons are started and all the configuration
>> is done once the service is started.
>
> I think most people actually expected that one service file would start
> one service.

I think most "people" do not equate "service" with a process;
"service" is a _service_ being provided - it may be atd with one
process (service is "makes at(1) work"), httpd with 10 similar
children (service is "answers on port 80"), mailman with 5 or so
different interoperating processes (service is "runs mailing lists").
At least as long as the "service" works, nobody really cares about the
processes.  If you will, "service" is "a product that could be bought
and installed".

Just follow the use cases:
- Install, configure and start mailman
- Set up mailman so that it starts at boot
- A huge security hole has been reported in mailman, take mailman down
immediately
- My mailing lists don't work, what's the status of mailman? Is
mailman running? Did mailman report an error?

In every single one of these use cases the sysadmin wants to treat
"mailman" as a single unit, not as five different units (I bet most
mailman sysadmins couldn't even list names of the processes).
    Mirek