Re: F15 / VirtualBox

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why are people choosing it over other solutions, and what can we change
in qemu/kvm to get users using that instead ?

I use Virtualbox on a laptop with Fedora 14 as host OS, I use for building and test installation of Windows application and for Running some windows only application (Lotus Domino Designer and Administrator)Â

I use it for the following reasons:
  • The easyÂsnapshotÂfeatures, when doing a lot of package testing on Windows, I have toÂrollbackÂto an earlier snapshot.
  • Local shared folders. to share files from Fedora host to windows client.
  • Nice GUI, Very easy to setup and manage new clients.
  • Save current state of guest, so I easy can switch clients with out having to close the the client OS down.
  • Running Windows application in a windows guest, runs veryÂsmooth, no delay in updating the GUI.
I have tried the same stuff on kvm about a year ago, it was theÂpossibilityÂto share local host folders with the guests and when running windows applications (ex. Lotus Domino Designer) there was a little delay before theÂGUIÂwas updated.

Tim