Re: Heads up: impending IPv6 Test Day

> Given that I mostly don't know about IPv6, what's the best way for
> people to test IPv6 next Wednesday, given what I think are the
> following common limitations:
>
>   - they'll have one (or two if we're lucky) Fedora machines

They could connect their Internet modem directly to their Fedora machine.

>   - they'll be using a private LAN behind a $40 router that doesn't
>     know anything about IPv6

If they're lucky enough to have a DD-WRT (or OpenWRT) supported router,
they could flash the firmware to those distributions and use the 6to4
method. DD-WRT has a web-based tool to do the configure work.

>   - they have very limited time and want to do the minimum work possible
>     to set it up

Unfortunately, if their ISP doesn't provide IPv6, there is not an easy
method in Fedora. You either setup a local 6to4 tunnel or create an
account with a tunneling provider.

>   - they themselves know next to nothing about IPv6

The 6to4 method is simple to implement. You just have to have the
correct hardware configuration. No specific IPv6 knowledge is required
beyond following some directions.

There is another method for tunneling, which Microsoft Windows uses,
that involves UPnP (to forward an IPv4 port on the local router). It is
called Teredo[1]. Most dumb $40 routers support UPnP by default so
Fedora could add Teredo support and provide easy-to-use (default?) IPv6
access.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling